Apr 23, 2008

Nikon SB800 Speedlight

Because inquiring minds want to know . . . this past weekend I purchased the SB800 speedlight:



Coupled with my new lens, this makes my camera look like a serious, big-girl camera!!
This sweet thing will take a while to learn and to be honest, I'm a little intimidated (as I was when I first got the D200) ok A LOT intimidated. I put it on the camera this morning to see what it could do . . . you know how that is . . . I walked around the house taking pictures of stupid things like piles of boxes, the drapes and anything else that wasn't illuminated . . . testing before and after without flash, with flash pointed directly, bounced off the ceiling, and at various angles.

Here are the test shots with my morning cup of coffee (yes, I know they're fuzzy):

See the harsh shadows behind the first cup? Voila - knocked out in the second cup photo. Now, if I also had a front light (or had positioned it facing the window for natural light) it would knock out the front shadow too, I believe.

There is so much to learn about lighting, but I find it very exciting. I tend to work backwords . . . I find the photographs that I'm in love with and then figure out how to recreate the lighting. There is tons of info on the internet about this. Here are some of my favorite links:

Paul Buff Inc.

Planet Neil

How to Use your SB800 Flash

I'm still lusting after a basic, portable studio lighting set-up and hope to have it within another week or so.

No comments: